Publications Plan and Policy
Aim: To provide a service to members by producing print and electronic publications that record and promote New Zealand climbing.
Convenor: Richard Thomson
Publications Committee: Kester Brown, Rob Addis, John Palmer, Geoff Spearpoint and Mark Watson
Climbnz.org.nz Committee: Jonathan Hunt, Craig Jefferies, Grant Piper and Jeremy Smit
- Publish a Club magazine and the annual Journal to ensure good communication with members and long term record of climbing activity.
- Publish mountaineering guidebooks to cover general climbing activities in all major climbing areas of New Zealand.
- Publish rock climbing and activity guidebooks as required to cover New Zealand rock climbing areas.
- Control and implementation of standard Club branding across all areas of the Club.
- Ensure the Club's websites are of a high standard to provide up to date and relevant information to members and those interested in New Zealand mountaineering.
- Develop the national library and archives as a valuable resource for climbers and researchers.
- Balance publications expenditure against publications income.
- Publish Rock Deluxe North guidebook in 2013.
- Co-publish Rock Deluxe South guidebook in 2013.
- Publish a new edition of Wanaka Rock with the Wanaka Rock Climbing Club in 2013.
- Publish a new edition of the Aoraki Mount Cook Guidebook in 2014.
- Continue to develop climbnz.org.nz as a community information resource.
- Make past issues of the New Zealand Alpine Journal and The Climber available online.
- Publish The Climber quarterly in colour.
- Publish The Climber content, and regularly publish climbing news, at climber.co.nz.
- Publish New Zealand Alpine Journal annually in colour with midweight gated cover.
- Reprint NZAC guidebooks as required by stock levels.
- Develop the NZAC library with complete sets of the NZAJ, Climber, Canterbury Mountaineer, key overseas journals, and all New Zealand books in Langton (2005). Cull unwanted books, upgrade books collection by donations, or purchases, cover books.
- Develop, implement and monitor a marketing plan for NZAC publications.
- Design access signage for rock climbing crags.
- Maintain map collection and trip reports on overseas climbing for use by NZAC members in expedition planning. Publish expedition reports at climber.co.nz.
- Published second edition of Avalance Awareness .
- Published new edition of Moir's Guide North .
- Published new edition of the Arthur's Pass Guidebook .
- Launched The Climber magazine online at climber.co.nz .
- Develop climbnz.org.nz, a collaborative online database of route and place information [2011 onwards].
- Upgraded NZAC website, improve ease of use, site management and online shopping .
- Published (with Canterbury Mountaineering Club) The Canterbury Westland Alps guidebook by Geoff Spearpoint and Yvonne Cook .
- Expanded Mount Aspiring Region guidebook to include Humboldt, Forbes, Barrier and Richardson mountains .