Mature Mountaineers Meetings
At the 2006 Home of Mountaineering Opening, ex President, Dave Bamford, floated the idea of afternoon get-togethers for the Club's more mature mountaineers.
It was envisaged that these meetings would be held every couple of months in the third-floor Library area of the Club's new premises in Christchurch. The meetings are designed around members aged 65 years and over, to give them a chance to meet in the daytime and talk over past exploits with their fellow climbers.Attendance is by invitiation as space is at a premium, but if you are an out of town member and wish to attend, please feel free to check in with the National Office.
Bill Beaven: Mtg 1, 2006
As a bonus, speakers are sourced for each meeting and there are often slides and images available.
A light afternoon tea is also served.
The Inaugural meeting of the New Zealand Alpine Club's Mature Mountaineers was held from 1-3pm, on Friday October 27th, 2006. The speaker for this meeting was Bill Beaven. He regaled the many attendees with a half-hour reflection on some of his more humorous mountaineering adventures.
Upcoming Meetings - unless stated otherwise, meetings are usually held from 1:30pm-3:30pm
Next meeting -
- Mch 7, 2014 - Dave Kennedy "Dave Massam’s Antarctic Adventures"
Past Meeting Dates and Speakers
- Oct 27, 2006 = Bill Beaven "Mountaineering Advenutres"
- Apl 24, 2007 = Norman Hardie "Antarctic Adventures"
- Jun 13, 2007 = Colin Burrows "The work of Julius Haast and changes to the NZ environment"
- Oct 10, 2007 = Peter McCormack "Life as a mountain guide, Franz Josef"
- Dec 7, 2007 = Dave Bamford "The changing world of mountaineering and his life as a Tourism Consultant"
- Apl 11, 2008 = Geoff Harrow "The Hutton's Shearwater, NZ's only mountain seabird"
- Aug 29, 2008 = Pat Prendergast "Insights into Israel"
- Oct 10, 2008 = Ray Slater "Alpine Rescue Operations"
- Nov 21,2008 = Margaret Clarke "Off-shore adventures since retiring"
- Mch 24, 2009 = Mike Brosnan "Dryland and desert conservation work in China, Africa and NZ"
- Jul 23, 2009 = Ian McLeod "Living in the mountains, then and now (Grasmere Station)"
- Sep 23, 2009 = John Wilson "John Harrison - Canterbury Mountaineer"
Transcript of meeting by David Harrowfield (PDF 70kb)
- Nov 5, 2009 = NZAC Antarctic Expedition 1959-60 reunion
- Feb 25, 2010 = Graham Foulds "Nepal - education, environment and politics"
- Aug 20, 2010 = John and Diane McKinnon "Remembering Ed - 40 Years in the Himalaya"
'I was the1st doctor at Ed Hillary's hospital, at Kunde in Nepal and am a member of the Himalayan Trust. My wife Diane and I have been involved with Ed's work since I went with him to Nepal in 1964 and climbed Thamserku. We have both been to Nepal many times. I was also on the 1st ascent of the south face of Cook. When Ed died, I developed a talk "Remembering Ed" about our involvement with Ed and his significance to Nepal, and how his work in Nepal was an excellant example of community development. Although this talk is not strictly moutaineering, it does have quite a lot of mountain invovlement and may be of interest.'
- Oct 5, 2010 = Miguel (Mike) Mahoney "Here and There - Everest and South America"
- Dec 9,2010 = Max Dorflinger "My Climbing in Switzerland and The Eiger"
- Feb 11, 2011 = Shaun Norman "Three Summers on the Other Side of the Ice"
- Jul 25, 2011 = John Moore "The 1970's at Mt Cook and Riccarton Bush Today"
- Mch 21, 2012 = Ross Cullen "Barron Saddle/Mt Brewster Region"
- May 23, 2012 = Peter Strang "Mountain Dreaming"
- Jun 20, 2012 = Steve Moffatt "In the Footsteps of Mannering and Dixon" An historical reenactment (with Hugh Logan and Steve Gurney) of their 5th attempt on Aoraki, before paddling out to the coast in Roby Roy's canoes.
- Jul 18, 2012 = Gordon Hasell "An Historical look at the Cook River and La Perouse Glacier, including the Ruth Adams' Rescue which opend up the access for major climbing from the 1950's"
- Sep 28, 2012 = Bill Beaven "Personal recollections of the Ruth Adams rescue and the background of three previous alpine rescues that influenced it."
- Nov 30, 2012 = Mike Brown "Horse Trekking through the South Island Highcountry"
- Aug 21, 2013 = Geoff Spearpoint "Huts and Trips in Remote Parts of New Zealand"
- Nov 8, 2013 = Colin Burrows "Travels in the Colorado Mountains"
- Dec 6, 2013 = Ross Cullen "Photos and Stories of Norse Mountains"
- Feb 14, 2014 - Rob Frost "White Wave Expedition"
Norman Hardie and John Wilson:
John Harrison Mtg 12, 2009
Where possible any transcripts, or images taken at meetings will be uploaded for your interest. Future meetings will also be listed. Due to the limited space available in our Library, attendance is by invitation. These are sent to local over 65yr old members out to the wider Canterbury, South Island area. If older members are visiting Christchurch while a meeting is on, they are most welcome to attend. A quick call to the office to confirm is appreciated.