National Climbing Camp
The Club’s Annual Climbing Camp has long been a focal point of Club activity. They are an opportunity for members and their guests to get together to climb, socialise, explore and enjoy the great outdoors. Non climbing family members are welcome at the camp and members of overseas alpine clubs are especially welcome to attend.
The 2015 NZAC National Climbing Camp will be based at Tukino Lodge, Mt. Ruapehu from 2nd – 9th January 2015. There will be heaps of activities going on, including lots of family friendly stuff and alpine and rock climbing for a range of abilities.
The Elcho and Mt. Ward by Di Hooper
Past Climbing Camps
The Club’s first Annual Climbing Camp was held in the Rees valley in 1931. This remained a popular place for climbing camps over many years. Annual Climbing Camps have since been held in most of New Zealand’s mountain areas:
- 2015 Tukino, Mt. Ruapehu
- 2014 Hopkins
- 2013 Makarora
- 2012 Unwin Lodge - Aoraki Mount Cook
- 2011 Broken River Ski Club – Craigieburn
- 2010 Aspiring – Matukituki
- 2009 Nelson Lakes – Matakitaki
- 2008 Hopkins Valley (January): Organised by the South Canterbury and North Otago Sections
- 2007 Mesopotamia (January): Organised by the Canterbury Westland Section
- 2006 Rees Valley Climbing Camp (31 December 2005 to 7 January 2006): Organised by the Otago Section
- 2005 Ahuriri Valley Climbing Camp (31 December 2004 to 8 January 2005): Organised by the Wellington Section.
- 2004 Hopkins Valley Climbing Camp (3 January to 11 January 2004): Organised by the Wellington, North Otago and Canterbury Westland Sections.
- 2003 Godley Valley Camping Camp (6 January to 11 January 2003): Hosted by the Canterbury Westland Section
- 2001 Nelson Lakes Camping Camp (30 September to 7 October 2001): Hosted by the Nelson Marlborough Section
- 2000 Matukituki Valley Climbing Camp, Aspiring Hut: Otago Section
- 1999 Whanganui Bay Climbing Camp: Wellington Section
- 1991 Rees Valley Centennial Camp: This camp celebrated the centennial of the founding of the New Zealand Alpine Club.
Future Climbing Camp ideas
- Godley Valley region based at Godley Hut
- Mt Cook Region based at Unwin Lodge
- Matukituki Valley based at Aspiring Hut
- Hopkins Valley region based at Elcho Hut
- Westland region based at Porter Lodge
- Darrens region based at Homer Hut
- Arthur's Pass Region based at Arthur's Pass Lodge
- Rock Climbing and mountaineering based at Whanganui Bay
- Nelson Lakes Region based at the head of the lake
- Arrowsmith range based at Cameron Hut
- Erewon Station
- Dart / Rees Valleys
- Head of the Rakaia
- Wilkin / Siberia
- Ahuriri Valley
|Hopkins Climbing Camp Application Form 2014.pdf||358.31 KB|
|Hopkins Valley Climbing Camp Information.pdf||1.01 MB|