Welcome to the 2015 NZAC Photographic Competition.
Last year saw a very high standard of photography across most categories and we're expecting more of the same this year. So start editing those awesome shots you've taken over the past year (or get shooting!) and send us your very best to be in for some great prizes.
Mark Watson's 8 Tips for Better Climbing Photos (12MB, PDF)
How to Enter
Entries to the competition can be made online, here, from Wednesday 1st July 2015. Entries close 24th August.
Photographs where the main subject is people engaging in activity in the alpine environment (e.g. climbing, skiing, tramping, camping). Emphasis should be on careful composition and ‘capturing the moment’.
Photographs that display mountain landscapes. Images should be strongly composed with great light. Judges will be weighing technical excellence, colour, tone and detail along with the image’s subject and composition.
Photographs of natural subjects in the mountain environment, where the emphasis is on artistic rendition. Subjects may include geological features, plants (or parts of plants), animals, water, snow and ice formations etc.
Photographs of rock climbing and bouldering that have strong visual impact and creative composition.
Mountain & Climbing Culture
This new category replaces Photojournalism. We’re looking for entries that portray the climbing life and places and people encountered by climbers. Entries might include travel photography (as long as it’s strongly related to climbing) or documentary-style images, covering any aspect of climbing.
Photographs can fall into any of the above categories but must taken by people 20 years and under on June 15th in the year of the competition. Submissions will be accepted by non-members. Entrants are free to enter other categories but must be NZAC members to do so.
- All images must have been taken by the competitor and be his or her property, but need not have been processed by him or her.
- Images need not necessarily have been taken in New Zealand.
- Entries are permitted in digital format only, uploaded via the NZAC website.
- Files must be JPEG format between 500KB and 3MB (at least 2000 pixels on the long side) will be accepted. Please use the online form at the alpineclub.org.nz website to enter.
- Digital processing should be mostly restricted to dust removal, cropping, resizing, global exposure and tonal adjustments. HDR, and exposure, focus or sequence blending are permitted. Cloning or removing parts of an image (except in the case of the above) are not permitted. Obvious modification of images is not in keeping with the objectives of this competition and may result in disqualification.
- Images not meeting these specifications will not be judged.
Sponsored by Marmot, Scarpa, and Alpine Recreation.
Past winners' images and in list format
- view 2014 winners, (results)
- View 2013 winners, (results)
- View 2012 winners, (results)
- View 2011 winners, (results)
- View 2010 winners
- View 2009 winners
- View 2008 winners
- View 2007 winners
- View 2006 winners
- View 2005 winners
- View 2004 winners
- View 2003 winners
View historical information on the competition, its trophies and past winners.