2017 Summer Dates:
Who is this course for?
The Multi-Pitch and Transitions Rock Course (MPTRC) is a two-day course designed for those who already have some lead climbing experience, either indoors or outdoors. Ideally participants would have completed a lead climbing course at a climbing gym and been assessed as able to lead climb and belay, or have equivalent experience on rock.
Participants must be NZAC members and enrolled at the Unwin Easter Rock Camp.
At a minimum, those wishing to register for the MPTRC must be capable of:
- Putting on a harness correctly.
- Tying into a harness with a figure 8 knot and stopper.
- Put on and adjust a climbing helmet correctly.
- Belaying a lead climber on a single rope.
- Complete safety checks on themselves and their climbing partner.
- Lead climb safely on bolts using quickdraws.
On the MPTRC, participants will learn the following:
- How to lead sport climbs on rock efficiently and safely
- Analyse and improve movement on rock
- Belaying, communication and getting down safely
- Fundamentals of multi pitch climbing and abseiling
The course will be run in a minimum 1:4 instructor to client ratio, headed by a fully qualified NZOIA Rock 2 Instructor. A maximum of 8 participants will be accepted for the course.
The course fees are $280. Payment on acceptance of application secures you a place on the course. Any refunds are at the discretion of the NZAC National Office and will depend on whether a replacement can be found. We strongly recommend taking out our loss of deposits insurance, which can cover you in case something happens in the time leading up to the course start date.
A wet weather option venue of the Twizel climbing wall may be utilised if required, entry to the wall will need to be paid by the participants in this case.
Questions can be directed to: