Who is this course for?
The NZAC Leading on Technical Ice Course (LTIC) is designed for mountaineers able to look after themselves on 35 degree snow slopes and with experience snow camping and leading traditional rock climbs. Participants will fly into Wye Creek and walk out following on the final day.
On the LTIC, participants will learn the following:
- The gear: crampons, ice tools, leashes, ice screws, harnesses, v-thread hooks
- How to rack up efficiently.
- The correct way to use your leashes, swing your tools and place your crampons.
- How to stay calm and move efficiently on ice without wasting energy.
- How to place ice screws, even when you are dangling off one arm and stressed.
- How to build ice screw and V-threads anchors.
- A controlled progression to build up to leading confidently.
The course will be run in a minimum 1:4 guide to participant ratio, headed by a fully qualified IFMGA or NZMGA Climbing Guide. All participants must agree to follow the guide’s instructions and directions.
$890.00 3 Day course
$1350.00 5 Day course- NEW!
The course fee includes instruction and the flight into the climbing area. Payment of a $300 non-refundable deposit on acceptance secures you a place on the course. The balance is due by June 30th, 2018.
Questions can be directed to: