“Mt Egmont” Opening the New Syme Hut
Ngā Taonga Sound & Vision is a charitable trust. They care for an ever-growing collection of films, radio, television, sound recordings, props and documents spanning 120 years of Aotearoa’s sound and moving image history.
This 8:58 minute black and white film from their archives shows the opening of Syme Hut on Mt Egmont (Taranaki) on the 6th of April 1930. Please follow this link to view: “Mt Egmont” Opening the new Syme Hut
The obituary for Rod Syme, after who the hut is named, is from the 1994 NZ Alpine Journal.
The still images are from the NZAC’s archives and were donated by the family of Denis Arthur Carty (NZAJ 1976).
Posted By: Margaret McMahon