This lodge was built largely with money bequeathed to the club by Doris Porter and is a memorial to her husband, H E L Porter. The lodge was designed by David Launder, a Wellington architect and member of the club. It was built by Ron Heward of Hokitika, building contractor, under the supervision of Gary Hopkinson & Associates of Greymouth, architects.
The building work was completed in December 1984 and the lodge officially opened on 17 January 1985 by M J (Mick) Sullivan of Fox Glacier, Chairman of the Westland County Council and a man with a lifelong association with Westland and climbing in the Southern Alps. The land the lodge sits on is leased by the NZAC and belonged to Mick. On his passing, ownership moved to his wife Joyce. She continued her association with the club until her death in 2014. The land is now owned by their son Maurice who is happy to continue his parents lease arrangement to its next review in 2024.
Image: Ned and Doris Porter, Lud Mahan and Marcel Kurz: 1927 (NZAJ 1980 p117)
– PREPARE RENEWAL 20YR LEASE by 1 June 2024
– two further Photoelectric smoke detectors installed Sept 2019 to make 5 in total.
– firebox bricks repaired early winter
– work party repair of veranda and repaint of Lodge
– shower box repaired
– woodburner flue serviced April
– two further new FireHawk FHB10 photoelectric smoke detectors installed September 2019 (10yr battery life). Making 5 in total.
– Three new FireHawk FHB10 photoelectric smoke detectors installed June 2018 (10yr battery life).
– replacement basin installed and new washers added to taps.
– annual lease paid 20 May
– big clean up of the grounds, 8 loads of garden rubbish, plus removal of old mattresses
– secondhand microwave donated
– new power meter installed
– annual lease paid 19 May
– August, driveway re-graveled
– annual lease paid 20 May
– May, t-towels, bath mats, special light bulbs, teaspoons and a hose reel holder purchased, also new foam for bench swabs
– Jan, 21 new mattresses purchased
– roof leak around chimney flue resealed by Dean Caldwell Ltd
– Feb, smoke detectors checked (now noted regularly on management page)
– Jan, gravel spread on driveway, damaged bunk bed repaired. Further cleaning of shower, windows, etc.
– Dec, Caretaker Kevin Barber engaged to maintain grounds that have now been cleared of rubbish and weeded. Load of firewood cut and stacked.
– new cordless jug purchased
– Weatherproof woodbox made and new door lock installed
2011 – Repair: Leak in hot water cylinder – new pressure reducing valve and element
2010 – Roof painted, new toaster purchased. Warden leaves, no longer any regular grounds maintenance.
2008 – Plan for the painting of the roof. Drying rack purchased. The final use of Hardgraft grounds maintenance services. Warden, Passang, takes over grounds maintenance.
2005 – New F&P fridge installed.
2004 – Hut fee dropbox installed. Dave (Hardgraft) employed as a groundskeeper. Twenty-year lease renewal takes effect from 1 June.
– New hut officially opened January 19th, Club members, representatives from the Barker family (Doris Porter, HEL Porter’s wife was nee Barker), Sullivan family, Westland National Park staff, the builder, architect and locals attended the Saturday opening. NZAC President Alan Berry welcomed the guests. Mick Sullivan was asked to officially open the hut and a plaque was unveiled consisting of a photograph of Mr and Mrs Porter and a brief biographical note. Information from the NZAC Bulletin April 1985 The first warden was Dave McLeod, a guide working for Alpine Guides, Westland
– John Wild coordinated the building project and Dave Launder did the design.
– July ‘Appeal for Contributions’ towards lodge construction began. Copy of appeal for contributions notice PDF
– 1st June lease signed for Porter Lodge with the Sullivan family.