Hut management is coordinated through the National Office. Please contact Margaret if you discover any maintenance issues, not listed below, that require attention. Work parties are usually carried out by members of the Club for larger projects. However, due to the distance for club members to travel to Fox Glacier and the frequent/ongoing need to keep the grounds and Lodge in order, it became necessary to employ a local Caretaker, Kevin Barber, in December 2014.
The NZAC request that eco-friendly products are used (where possible) for work party tasks and when re-stocking cleaning supplies for day-to-day use.
- Drying room – no dryer/heater in here anymore.
General tasks: Hut Maintenance Person, Kevin
- check smoke detectors (see below)
- check bait stations (one in kitchen, one? – checked 2019)
- firewood supply replenish annually
- grounds cleared and mowed regularly
- interior cleaned, especially the ally kitchen, shower and toilet areas – hut users responsible, but with additional cleaning by Kevin
The next work party for Porter Lodge expected TBA. Please contact Margaret at the Christchurch National Office if you wish to report any maintenance issues, or be part of a work party.
Future Upgrade Work
- better ventilation (nb: HRV type system not possible as no ceiling cavity in the lodge) – priority due to mould created by lack of ventilation
- new, good quality vacuum cleaner (bagless and industrial)
- suggested change to drying room – install a clothes dryer
- an alternative suggestion is the addition of another shower and toilet in the drying room space
Note that full supplier details can be obtained from the National Office, e.g. customer and/or order numbers. Major expenditure items require pre-approval via CCM/National Office. Work-party reimbursement requests should be accompanied by GST receipts and payment details. Similarly, supplier GST invoices should be forwarded to the office when they are not going to be paid by the Section directly.
Compliance and Safety Requirements
- Fire Extinguishers serviced annually by: Wormalds, Christchurch:
- 3 x 2.0kg powder extinguishers and one fire blanket serviced March 2019. Note: replaced every 5th year so 3 new extinguishers 2021.
- Three FireHawk FHB10 photoelectric smoke detectors installed June 2018 (10yr battery life). Two further photoelectric detectors installed to make 5 in total September 2019. (checked 2019)
Lodge users are asked to remove all rubbish and unused food when they leave the hut. Please ensure the hut is left clean and tidy for others. Bins can be found outside of the hut. These are to be taken out for kerbside collection every second Wednesday by the Lodge Manager and are then collected by South Westland Rubbish Removals.
Garden greenwaste can be dumped for free – across the road from Fox Valley Road
This lodge is on the town supply.
This lodge is on the town supply. A hot water cylinder is installed (1984) and heated by electricity.
Rates and Fees
- NZAC have a 20yr lease agreement with the Sullivan family. The current lease runs from 1 June 2004 to 1 June 2024. No right-to-renew in place past 2024. The annual lease fee is paid up to 31 May 2020.
- Westland District Council – annual rates paid quarterly
Electrical and water cylinder repairs (element): Gordon Kelly Electrical, Whataroa 03 753 4068
Firewood: Kevin Barber (Lodge Caretaker)
Gravel: Alan Langridge (TBA contact details)
Mattresses: The Comfort Group (made at Dunlop Christchurch factory) Head Office 41-+71 Great South Road, Otahuhu, Auckland 09 276 9300
Plumbing and water cylinder repairs (valve replacement): T & M Plumbing and Drainage, Hokitika 0800 500 317
Power: Electricity supplied by Contact
Rubbish Collection: South Westland Rubbish Removals 027 660 9444
Coffee Plunger: Zip 800ml Red (2019)
Drying Rack (2008) – removed – drying room to be re-thought (see tasks above)
Fridge: Fisher & Paykel fridge-freezer (2005)
Skope wall mounted heater
Wood Burner (2003) no wetback (PDF 1.7mb manual) Metro Wee-Rad
Microwave: Panasonic NN-ST342W (2nd-hand 2017)
Stove: Atlas Windsor (1980s ?)
Toaster: Sunbeam Quantum Plus 4-slice (2019)
Vacuum cleaner: AEG Vampyr 8209
Bunk mattresses: new January 2016: 1900 x 900 x 100mm no zip x 21 units $2688 + GST
Bench swabs: new foam inners May 2016 $232.00 + GST.
Access: via keypad code available from National Office, or via online booking. The code is changed monthly by Lodge Manager. Instructions for changing the code are on file at the National Office.