H.E.L. Porter Memorial Lodge
1. BOOKING – if you opt for bank transfer to pay your hut fees you won’t receive the door code back until the funds are recorded as received during office weekday hours. If you pay via Visa/MasterCard instead then the code will come back to you by email as soon as the transaction goes through the payment system at the checkout so this is the better option for last-minute bookings. To obtain member rates you need to log in first before making your booking.
2. Unfortunately, if you are booking on the same day you wish to stay, you will need to actually book a day ahead for the system to allow you to place the booking. We apologise for the inconvenience. The door code will be supplied in the reply email if payment is made at the time of booking, by credit card.
2. Dogs are only allowed within the confines of the Fox Village streets and on one area at the local stop-bank. They are banned from all other areas.
The wild west coast of the South Island offers spectacular scenery and unforgettable experiences, from the cascading glaciers to the mighty peaks of the alps. This lodge is your roadside base for adventures around this great region.
Corner of Cook Flat Rd and Kerrs Rd, Fox Glacier Village (heading towards Gillespie’s Beach, on the left, by the school). Detailed map below.
Bench bunks for 20 in 2 rooms, water on tap, showers, flush toilets, electricity, drying rooms, lounge and kitchen (with oven), pots, pans and utensils. It is best if you supply your own toilet paper. Firewood is not always available, however many users collect driftwood from the beach nearby, or bring their own firewood.
Road access and off street parking.
Locked by keypad. The combination will be emailed when your online booking is completed (see below). Note: the code changes monthly.
Fees and booking:
Fees are payable by credit card or bank transfer (NZ accounts only) when you make your online booking below. The door code will be sent by email when your booking is complete and paid. Please note that if you pay by bank transfer, the code will not be sent until the next working day as it has to be processed by the staff in the HoM. If you require the code outside of work hours, please pay by credit card. Any enquiries to NZAC National Office: +64 (0)3 377 7595 or email.
- Members $20 per night
- Members child (11-17 yrs) $10
- Non-members $40 per night
- Non-members child and group youth rate (11–17 yrs) $20 per night
- Children (10 yrs and under) free
- Day use only $15
Group rates are by special arrangement only and may be made through the National Office.
Bookings are required, please use the calendar above.
Fox Glacier and the surrounding areas are a great place to take a holiday. There is something for everyone in this beautiful away-from-it-all location. With the Club’s Porter Lodge located right down the road from the heart of the little Fox Glacier township and costing only $20 per night for members, it certainly does create a cheap little getaway. The lodge is a modern warm and comfortable building completed in 1985 and has bunks for sleeping 20 in two bunkrooms. The main room is equipped with a log burner, fridge, microwave, stove, pots and pans, toaster, kettle, plates and eating utensils. It also boasts excellent views out the large sunny north facing windows to the southern alps including the summit of Aoraki Mt Cook. There are a number of cafes, bars and restaurants within easy walking distance including the Hobnail Café of the Glacier Guides. The Department of Conservation has a large and well laid out information centre with displays on the scenic, conservation and recreation values of the surrounding Westland National Park. There are a number of brochures and pamphlets with maps and information on walks and tracks in the area. Some of the opportunities include Lake Matheson, Gillespies Beach and Lagoon, and nearby Fox Peak.
POINT (-43.462945, 170.009141) NZTopo50: BX16 581 834 NZMS260 (old): H35 680 450