WN Section - Summer Rock 2017
Learn Rock Climbing
- 6 indoor sessions
- Progress your movements at Baring Head
- One weekend on rock around Lake Taupo
- One weekend leading on volcanic rock at Wharepapa South
The Wellington section of the NZ Alpine Club has been running Summer Rock courses for over four decades. Our mission is to promote safe, fun climbing and to encourage new climbers. Our team of instructors includes certified instructors and climbers with lots of experience in NZ and abroad. We are all volunteers.
- Providing you with an introduction to gear and techniques for safe rock climbing on single pitch, bolted routes, covering top rope climbing, abseiling, and starting to lead climb on rock.
- Helping you progress from indoor climbing to an outdoor climbing environment.
- Introducing you to North Island climbing - bouldering at Baring Head, and two great weekend trips to Taupo and Waikato crags.
- Introducing you to other keen climbers and the NZ Alpine Club.
Note that trad-climbing and multi-pitch techniques are beyond the scope of this course.
- Safe practice: knots, belaying, gear
- Top rope belaying and lowering
- Movement and efficient climbing
- Top rope anchors
- Lead belaying and climbing indoors
- Anchor re-threading and abseiling
- Lead climbing on rock
- Six nights at indoor climbing wall in Wellington.
- Day trip to Wellington's beach-front bouldering at Baring Head.
- Weekend trips to two of the best climbing areas of the North Island :
- Kinloch - a great crag on the shores of Lake Taupo, with a 5 minute walk from our holiday home accommodation; and,
- Wharepapa South - Waikato volcanic crags with a great range of routes for all levels.
You have to be a member of the NZ Alpine Club. For membership details, see http://alpineclub.org.nz/membership
Previous climbing experience is useful but not necessary.
You will need to have your own rock shoes. We can provide harness, karabiners, slings, belay devices and helmets, but please bring your own if you want to. Email us for more details. We advise you strongly to wait or contact us if you intend to buy gear.
COST AND REGISTRATION
The course is run on a cost recovery basis: $715.00 per student. This cost covers: travel, accommodation and shared dinner for weekend trips, climbing gym entry 6 nights; and access to Alpine Club equipment.
The course is limited to 12 participants. To register, email: [email protected]
Indoor and outdoor sessions
14 February 2017 - 2 April 2017
NZAC Members only $715
If you have registered on this website or are an NZAC member please login first before applying to join this course.