NZAC Glacier Skiing Course
NZAC Glacier Skiing Course
Who is this course for?
The NZAC Glacier Skiing Course (GSC) is a five-day course designed for strong intermediate (or better) skiers with experience skiing in steep slackcountry/backcountry terrain and with excellent aerobic fitness wanting to learn the core skills to safely ski on glaciated terrain. Introductory-level familiarity with the use of an ice axe and crampons is required, and can usually be learned from a local NZAC section snowcraft course. This is not a âlearn to skiâ course- you need to meet the minimum requirements.
Telemarkers and split boarders are also welcome but must be of a high skill/experience level. Boarders must also have ski crampons as part of their touring setup just like the skiers. When you submit your registration, provide as much detail of your experience as possible, and we will run it past the instructor before confirming your spot.
On the GSC, participants will learn the following:
- Equipment- what to carry and why. How to look after your gear.
- Trip planning and preparation
- Skins- getting them on and off quick smart without holding too many people up.
- Skinning- good technique â how to lay a good track others will enjoy.
- Mountain travel -choosing a safe route â terrain analysis.
- Glacier ski travel and crevasse extraction
- Snow- different snow conditions. What to expect in Mt. Cook NP
- Navigation- map and compass, altimeter, basic GPS. Navigating in a whiteout.
- Weather â general and specific to NZ glaciated areas
- Avalanches- about them and how to avoid the damn things.
- Transceivers â how to use them.
- Searching for an avalanche victim/s â shovel and probe.
Flexible Course Dates
The plan is to run the course over 5 days. However, given 48 hoursâ notice, you will need to be available for a delayed start and so a delayed finish, if the weather forecast is better. Therefore, you will need to be available for a 6 day window and instruction will occur on the best 5 day block out of the 6 days. There is a lot to cover and this gives us the best chance of optimal conditions for instruction and skiing.
8-12 Sept (9-13 Sept if delay start is required â decision on confirmed by instructor via email to the group on the 5th Sept)
15-19 Sept (16-20 Sept if delay start is required â decision on confirmed by instructor via email to the group on the 12th Sept)
25-29 Sept (26-30 Sept if delayed start is required â decision on confirmed by instructor via email to the group on the 22nd Sept)
For more details and registration information visit:https://alpineclub.org.nz/skiing-touring/courses/glacier-skiing-course/
Aoraki Mt. Cook National Park
31 August 2019 - 4 September 2019
NZAC Members $1740
If you have registered on this website or are an NZAC member please login first before applying to join this course.