Intro to Backcountry Skiing Course
NZAC Introduction to Back Country Skiing Course
Who is this course for?
The NZAC Intro to Backcountry Skiing Course (IBSC) is a five-day course designed for strong intermediate (or better) skiers with excellent aerobic fitness wanting to get a good grounding in ski touring so they can go experience the winter backcountry by themselves!
This is not a âlearn to skiâ course. Please be aware the Olympus and Canterbury terrain is much more challenging than the Pisa Range so ensure you meet the minimum requirements.
Telemarkers and split boarders are also welcome but must be of a high skill/experience level. Boarders must also have ski crampons as part of their touring setup just like the skiers. When you submit your registration, provide as much detail of your experience as possible, and we will run it past the instructor before confirming your spot.
On the IBSC, participants will learn the following:
- Equipment- what to carry and why. How to look after your gear.
- Trip planning and preparation
- Skins- getting them on and off quick smart without holding too many people up.
- Skinning- good technique â how to lay a good track others will enjoy.
- Mountain travel -choosing a safe route â terrain analysis.
- Snow- different snow conditions. What to expect in the Craigieburns.
- Navigation- map and compass, altimeter, basic GPS. Navigating in a whiteout.
- Weather â general and specific to the Canterbury high country
- Avalanches- about them and how to avoid the damn things.
- Transceivers â how to use them.
- Searching for an avalanche victim/s â shovel and probe.
For more details and to registration information visit: https://alpineclub.org.nz/skiing-touring/courses/intro-to-backcountry-skiing/
Mt. Olympus, Canterbury
1 September 2019 - 6 September 2019
NZAC Members $1620
If you have registered on this website or are an NZAC member please login first before applying to join this course.