CW Section - Snow 2 (Intermediate Snowcraft)
Intermediate Snowcraft Course
Canterbury / Westland Section
This course is not suitable for beginners or those that have attended a beginners snow craft course this season. Participants must have had at least one season of winter tramping experience, and have gained sound ice axe and crampon skills. Participants must have attended an avalanche awareness course.WHAT WILL BE TAUGHT:
- Snow anchors and construction
- natural rock anchors (bollards and threads)
- pitch climbing techniques
- steep snow climbing
- escaping the system.
WHAT WILL NOT BE TAUGHT:
Glacier travel, crevasse rescue, avalanche awareness, lead belaying.
WHAT IS REQUIRED TO ATTEND:
- Current NZAC members only upon the return or the completed registration form.
- Knowledge of avalanche awareness, equipment and its use.
- Ability to lead belay (not with a gri gri).
- Good fitness level
- Knowledge of knots (list provided with course registration details).
- Ability to abseil.
If you are unknown to the course co-ordinator, there will be a compulsory half day sign off for you to prove you can lead belay, abseil and demonstrate the basic knots required. This will be on Saturday 7th September starting at 10am.
Payment of the course fee of $450 must be made within 7 days of return of registration form or after the half day sign off and confirmed when deposited so it can be checked.
This course is only for C/W members only. Participants will car pool from Christchurch on the Friday evening, leaving 5pm at the latest. The course starts at 7pm SHARP in Arthurs Pass.
What the course fee WILL cover:
- Friday night accommodation at NZAC Arthurs Pass Lodge,
- Saturday evening meal, accommodation, 2 x lunch and 1 x breakfast at Temple Basin Ski Field,
- Equipment if requested
- Two days instruction by an experienced guide and instructors
- Please provide Friday evening meal and Saturday morning breakfast as well as snack food and drinks.
- FUEL reimbursements to drivers will be made by those who are car pooling.
The course has a maximum of 8 students and is filled by a first come, members only basis. Your spot is only guaranteed upon payment and registration. There is NO REFUND if you withdraw from the course without sufficient time to find a replacement.
Please contact Clayton on [email protected] with some back ground information on yourself, experience level, where you live and NZAC members details (the more you answer in one inquiry, the less email tag and more chance you will get a spot!).
20 September 2019 - 22 September 2019
NZAC Members only $450
If you have registered on this website or are an NZAC member please login first before applying to join this course.