To celebrate the 80th edition of The Climber, the NZAC and Macpac hosted a Creative Writing Short Story Competition open to all readers of the magazine. The winning entries were announced and published in The Climber issue #80.
- maximum 1500 words
- on a topic about the mountain-related, or mountain travel
- to be submitted no later than 5pm on May 7th
The judges were writers Paul Hersey and Al Uren and editor Nic Learmonth.
The winners will receive from Macpac:
- 1st Prize: XP Sundowner Down Jacket and a copy of ‘Under a Sheltering Sky.’ by Colin Monteith
Won by Tom Williams for ‘The Sound’ PDF (17kb)
- 2nd Prize: Merino 150L/S Sport top, plus books ‘High Misadventure’ and ‘Where the Mountains Throw Their Dice’ by Paul Hersey
Won by Gail Ingram for ‘Free Radical’ PDF (25kb)
- 3rd Prize: Kakapo 35 pack and book ‘Wind from a Distant Summit’ by Pat Deavoll
Won by Ken Stokes for “The Ice-Axe” PDF (12kb)