Whakapapa Gondola Project 2019 – Access Information
Ruapehu Alpine Lifts new Gondola Project has begun and subsequently, there will be some access issues at Whakapapa while this work is carried out. Please see the attached PDF notice showing defined construction zones and safe trails/access areas. Note, for Ruapehu Hut, access is up Tenants Valley, which adds another 10minutes walking through rough rock.
Along with the info on the map, below are short notes that will cover some additional questions that may come up.
- Access up Salt Ridge will be as per normal and uninterrupted.
- Access to upper west clubs above Salt Ridge will be via Tennants Valley (trail marked with green markers)
- Access to Hut Flat will be via Tennants Valley to the Wanganui Club track (trail marked with green markers) RSC members can then access the club and lodge from the top of Hut Flat.
- Access to the upper mountain will be from the Wanganui Club and up the Yankee. There is no access up the Waterfall Express line/route.
- Access to the eastern Rockgarden Clubs will be via Happy Valley, up the Meads Wall track & then via Aorangi to clubs in between Christiania and up to the Pinnacle Ski Club. The elevator will be open most days for Happy Valley access.
- There is no access through the TOB. Access around will be via Happy Valley or the Snow Road up the western side and up onto the Tongariro Club track.
- Parking is readily available below Iwikau Shelter and in Car Park 1 etc. As per the attached map Car Parks 5,6,7, & 8 will be closed off for construction purposes.
Access up the Rock Garden Road will be for DOC permitted vehicles only. For those that apply and receive permits, there will be additional information on managing vehicles through the construction site on the day permitted. This will also include Aorangi permits.
Posted By: Margaret McMahon