Mt Aspiring National Park
Huts are open and back to full capacity as long as we remain at COVID19 Alert Level 1. Check the government website for the latest information on levels and restrictions.
Keeping yourself and others safe
It’s important that visitors take responsibility for their own Covid-19 hygiene and safety:
- If you are sick, stay home.
- If you have cold or flu symptoms, call your doctor or Healthline and get tested.
- Wash your hands, thoroughly and often, using soap you carry with you.
- Keep track of where you have been. Complete the hut book and take a photo for your records.
This historic stone hut, located in the spectacular Matukituki Valley, is a very popular location for families, tramping groups, tourists and of course climbers of all abilities. It provides shelter for those heading further into the mountains or is a weekend trip in itself.
In the West Matukituki Valley on the banks of Cascade Stream, Mount Aspiring National Park.
Detailed map below.
38 bunks, wood stove, gas cookers (summer only), common room, a water tank and flush toilets. Hut warden in residence during summer.
Winter conditions apply at the hut from mid-April until Labour Weekend in October as follows:
- Ranger will no longer be in residence.
- Gas cookers have been removed.
- The flush-toilet block will be locked.
- Basic services comprising mattresses, tank water, wood-burner and a long-drop toilet will remain.
Please see the DOC website for further details
2 hours from Matukituki Valley road end over open river flats.
- Members $20 per night
- Non-members $40 per night
- Youth (11-17 yrs) $10
- All children (10 yrs and under) free
Hut fees are payable to the Hut Warden when in residence during summer, or at the Department of Conservation office in Wanaka. (There is a dropbox outside the office for out of hours payments.)
DOC Wanaka sells special tickets for Aspiring Hut.
No reserved bookings are possible at Aspiring Hut. The hut is open all year round and beds are available on a first-in, first-served basis.
Please read and complete the following notification form if you wish to utilise Aspiring Hut for a large group stay. When completed, please return to the DoC contact supplied on the form: Large group notification form – NZAC and DOC huts
POINT (168.66013527 -44.47706396)
NZTopo50: CA11 548 659
NZMS260 (old): E39 649 277