Despite a reputation as latte-sipping, real estate obsessed urbanites, Aucklanders continue to great things in the outdoors and claim Sir Edmund Hillary as their own. Climbing in or near Auckland is available at Mt Wellington, Maungarei Springs and Ti Point. Wharepapa / Castle Rock access remains open and is operating as it always has. For more information on Wharepapa/Castle Rock click here.
Long trips down to the Central Volcanoes generate enthusiasm for the white stuff that other regions struggle to match. Visitors and residents alike will find a collegial and vibrant climbing community with a wide variety of interests.
The section organises a range of courses including;
- Basic Snowcraft: This is an introductory course focused on taking participants new to mountaineering into the mountains to gain skills, confidence and experience in the alpine environment. Held over a long weekend (Friday to Sunday), two theory nights and including a grad trip (second weekend) to practice your new skills and gain confidence this course is a great way to develop a love of alpine environments.
- Basic Navigation: This is an introductory navigation course with the intention to go beyond basic map and compass work
- Avalanche Awareness This course is NZ Mountain Safety Council (MSC) accredited introductory level course. It is the first step to understanding avalanches and gaining an appreciation of the avalanche phenomenon, and what is required to make decisions regarding personal safety when traveling in avalanche terrain.
The section runs a range of trips throughout the year. Find out more about upcoming trips here.
The Auckland and Central North Island Sections are responsible for the Ruapehu Hut maintenance programme.
The following equipment is available to NZ Alpine Club members:
- Crampons – flexible, suitable for stiff leather boots or plastics (NOT suitable for soft boots)
- Ice axes – very light, straight axe
- Helmets – light & comfortable, one size fits all, different colours!
- Avalanche transceivers – easy-to-use, suitable for all trips in avalanche-prone areas, e.g. Mt Ruapehu
- Shovel and Probe part of the essential avo kit.
To hire gear please visit the website here
For full details on our committee please see our website here
The highly successful Mature Mountaineers meetings are starting to spread nation-wide, thanks to the support of the New Zealand Alpine Club and the newly formed...